The lying gluteal stretch focuses on the hips and stretches the gluteus maximus muscle. The Lying Gluteal Stretch is a maintenance stretch and should be held for 10 to 15 seconds.
Body Part and Muscle Group
The Lying Gluteal Stretch focuses on the Hips. The Gluteus Maximus is stretched.
- Start by lying face up on the floor.
- Bring one leg towards the body, so the knee is directly above the hip.
- Bring the other knee in and place the ankle on the fleshy part of the opposite knee.
- Turn the knee outwards while keeping it in line with the ankle.
- Place both hands on the back of the thigh and bring towards the body.
- If your leg starts to shake ease off the stretch slightly.
Progression: Bring the legs closer to the chest.