The Supine Tricep Press is an exercise that requires a Spotter. If you’re looking to improve Muscular Strength when performing this exercise you should aim for 2-5 sets of 6-8 repetitions with a weight of 70-80% of your maximum weight.
Body Part and Muscle Group
The Supine Tricep Press works the back of upper arm with particular focus on the Tricep.
The movement to perform the Supine Tricep Press involves Elbow Extension.
- Keep your wrists rigid and your hands in the overhand closed grip position.
- Your elbows should be slightly bent with your wrists in line with your elbows.
- Bend our elbows keeping your upper arm straight (vertical), lower the bar towards your forehead until you reach a 90-degree position with your elbows.
- Push the bar back up so your arms are straight but not locked out.
* This exercise is to be performed with a Spotter for safety reasons.
Progression: Add more weight, increase your reps, increase your sets or slow the exercise down.
Alternative: Tricep Extension or Dumbbell Press.
Supine Tricep Press
To increase muscular strength or endurance the Supine Tricep Press is one of the many exercises that will help you work your tricep muscles. When including the Supine Tricep Press in your exercise workout make sure to keep some balance in the workout and include a bicep exercise.
The Supine Tricep Press should be done with a spotter to make sure you are safe at all times, holding and lifting heavy weights above your head needs to be done safely.